Wednesday, October 7, 2009

First Links Post

October 7th LINKS Post

What are your learning targets for an upcoming unit/lesson?
My learning targets for my upcoming unit, fitness testing would be that student's understand the concept of effort and trying their hardest. My second unit of kicking would be that students understand the concept of kicking and using different kicking skills in various sports/skills. They will understand the correct form of kicking and be able to execute these skills during the unit.

How will you communicate your targets to students?
I will effectively communicate my targets with each student through talking about expectations, and the concept of effort and working hard to improve their fitness testing scores by the end of the school year when they will be assessed again. Another way I will effectively communicate the targets to my students is through visual demonstration (modeling). Helping students see what is expected of them through a visual.

What learning skills will student's demonstrate?
We will be working hard to encourage one another in class during the fitness testing and student's should be demonstrating positive words of encouragement and showing respect. I will be able to see them demonstrate proper kicking skills through a variety of activities.

Case Study

I have choose to do my case study on a student who I have for Developmental Adapted Physical Education. His name is Bobby and he is in the 4th grade. Bobby is on the autism spectrum.

Strengthes of this student: Bobby enjoys participating with his friends in class and enjoys different activities. He is a fun boy to be around and has a great sense of humor.

Weaknesses: Bobby has a hard time waiting to take his turn and needs to be re-directed during activities. He has a short attention span on activities and can get overwhelmed/silly very easily. Social aspects of his day are often difficult for Bobby.

Needs of this student: This student needs to know what is expected of him and to understand the concept of taking turns. He needs to learn how to properly play with friends and understand when friends do not want to play with him. He is also extremely weak when it comes to his gross motor skills and participating with his class.

What I would like to try: I would like to try writing down what is expected of him and make sure they are talked through before the activity/lesson. I would also like to try working with other friends in class to work on the social piece of how to play and waiting to take turns.


2 comments:

  1. Amy--
    It sounds like you've got great ideas for what to try with Bobby. Challenging him to read your expectations first sounds like a good plan to help him re-focus and have tangible goals to refer back to. Maybe some non-verbal cues could help remind him of these goals/expectations as well--especially if it's a consistent thing he's working on that isn't specific to the activity you're doing? The social piece is also tricky. I also have students who are impatient about waiting for their turns and will get so frustrated that they have to take trips to the resource room to figure out how to be ready to learn and be more patient. I usually just try not to wait too long to call on them or give them a turn, but I probably should be trying to push them a little further to show more patience. How is it going with your student, and do you have any tips on how to do this more efffectively?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie- I think your idea of non-verbal cues is a great idea. I think kids pick up on these cues more than we see as teachers. Being patient is definitely hard for my student and I think that this is a good thing to teach our kids as they are developing. It is going very well with Billy, it is a gradual process but I am definitely seeing progress towards changes.

    ReplyDelete